From: Chetna Patel
Sent: Tue 15/06/2010 13:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Electronic Registers

Hi David

We've been collecting information through a paper register and yes its arduous and prone to errors due to poor handwriting but recently we've set up an online booking system which has the obvious advantages for scheduling and capturing information, however it still has a few bugs that we need to iron out.  Another avenue we are going to be taking next session is to use a Swipe reader; the Mathematics Learning Support Centre at Loughborough University  have been using them successfully for many years.  They recommended "USB Magnetic Stripe Card Reader 1 track ASR75AB White USB keyboard Emulator available from http://www.access-is.com (contact Cliff Hunter).

Another approach is access to a bespoke database that tutors can log details into after each session, this is currently being used at the Robert Gordon University - Study skill and Access Unit.  Although making a note after every session sounds laborious, it becomes a good record of what learning and teaching techniques have been used and tutors can easily follow-on from previous tutor's work.  I've copied this to John if you need any more information on that.

All the best
Chetna

Book appointment for support here:
http://www.mash.group.shef.ac.uk/