>>> On 31/05/2010 at 16:21, in message
<[log in to unmask]>, Andy Swiffin
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> So, just to prove I had it all sussed:
>
> Today
> I removed the handlerSSL directive, restarted everything and
>
> If I went to a local SP with https   it worked
> If I went to same SP with http it   _also_   _worked_
>
> aaaarghhh    what is going on here - why can I not break this again?
This is
> weird, it should be broken - is there some evil cache somewhere or
what?

In case anyone wants to know, or goes the same way and falls into the
same hole the problem was:  " I removed the handlerSSL directive"

If you do a shibboleth SP install you end up with a shibboleth2.xml
with handlerSSL="false".   I'd just assumed that this was therefore the
default (not so).  I had set it to ="true" and verified the new
behaviour, done some other stuff and then in order to go back removed it
—-- Wrong!   Because the default is "true" that is the value this
takes even if there is no "handlerSSL"  in the file at all it is "true".
  To get it to be "false" you have to explicitly say so.  See:
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/NativeSPSessions

Andy

Please consider the environment.  Do you really need to print this
email?

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish charity, No: SC015096