Les

Yes ­ I also thought it curious, and it is misleading, even if strictly
correct to say Śmost cited nationsą. I think it might also point quite
interestingly at citation cultures within nations and language groupings.
There could be reasons why Danish researchers quote other Danish researchers
extensively. We commissioned a report on library involvement in research
assessment in five countries last year from Key Perspectives. Denmark was
one of the countries studied, and it was distinctive in the element of
bibliometrics they employ. They have a system known as the Bibliometric
Research Indicator (based on a Norwegian model) which awards points on the
basis of where research is published.  In creating it, it seems clear that
Danish academics in some disciplines valued their own national journals and
monographs very highly, and there was a bit of a tussle over how highly
rated Danish journals and publishers should be in the Indicator:

Ślaw, history, Nordic philology and similar fields have very localised
publishing practices, so researchers in these fields have nominated Danish
publishers and journals in the highest category; this needs to be taken into
account in a refined system.ą

Details of the report:

Key Perspectives Ltd. 2009. A Comparative Review of Research Assessment
Regimes in Five Countries and the Role of Libraries in the Research
Assessment Process. Report commissioned by OCLC Research. Published online
at: http://www.oclc.org/research/publications/library/2009/2009-09.pdf

John

--
John MacColl        [log in to unmask]
European Director, RLG Partnership, OCLC Research