On 22 Jun 2010, at 21:30, Leslie Carr <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

It depends what you are looking for (and what the CRIS / Repository combo is delivering). Impact ratings imply a public dimension to the use of the research data, which may be fed more by the one than the other (your CRIS may be run by and for the admin department for example).

We do have that public dimension with our CRIS (Pure) with links to our dspace (sorry, Les!) repository and have flexibility

If you are looking for driving conventional downloads, then the quantity of material that a full text repository provides for each record will inevitably pull more Search Engine Eyeballs to the research than just a CRIS record.
Not sure I understand this as isn't this same argument if have metadata only repository?
If we have a full cerif  cris record with all links to contextual info such as people , organisations, projects and to the full text both at the publishers site via doi and the oa version in the ir or subject repository or wherever will have at least as much influence  on downloads?

Anna

--
les Carr