Crispin

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sam Mellonie
Sent: 15 June 2010 14:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Government Connect

We are still sorting things out from our unitary reorganisation, and one
of the latest things we have been told is that when we move to our new
location and log onto the new network under Government Connect we will
not be able to log visitors to the HER onto HBSMR.

At present we have a read-only version which we let consultants and some
members of the public use, with some simple guidance, to speed up their
search.  Although there is potential for them to roam around our network
and files, they are also grown-ups and are in for a specific purpose -
it has never been an issue.  Additionally, we do not have access to
files unrelated to our work area, and between Stephen and myself we have
no confidential files.

What I was wondering was how other HERs approach this problem, either
with HBSMR or any other system they are using.  We have considered the
Heritage Gateway as an alternative and returning to paper maps (which
fortunately we still have), but this is not an ideal solution.  We are
also considering a standalone copy on a locked down PC which would then
entail regular data uploads.  All ideas welcome.

Sam

Sam Mellonie

Technical Officer

Heritage & Design Team

Borough Hall

Cauldwell Street

Bedford

MK42 9AP

0300 300 6038

e-mail [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Central Bedfordshire Council
Priory House, Monks Walk, Chicksands,
Shefford, Bedfordshire SG17 5TQ
Customer Services 0300 3008000
www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk

*********************************

Improving the quality of life for all

*********************************

This email is confidential and intended exclusively for the use of the
intended recipient(s). Any views or opinions presented are solely those
of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Central
Bedfordshire Council. If you are not the intended recipient(s) please
note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this e-mail or the
information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and
then delete the message and any attachments from your system.

This message has been checked before being sent for all known viruses by
our antivirus software. However please note that no responsibility for
viruses or malicious content is taken and it is your responsibility to
scan this message and any attachments to your satisfaction.

Central Bedfordshire Council reserve the right to monitor e-mails in
accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Thank you