Dear colleagues,

The final seminar in the QMUL Educational Research Seminar Series for
2009/10, hosted by Educational and Staff Development, will take place on
Monday 28th June at 3pm in room 602 of the G. O. Jones Building, on the Mile
End campus of the College.

This seminar is presented by Dr Matthew Williamson, Education Adviser, and
Dr Giles Martin, Learning and Teaching Development Adviser, both in ESD at
QMUL and is entitled Transitions to Higher Education: reflections on a
three-year study.

This seminar will present an overview of a three year study which surveyed
all new entrants to QMUL before they joined the College, as well as
including interviews with a group of students during their first two years
of study, and interviews and observations in local schools and colleges. We
will be presenting the headline issues raised by the students, together with
some suggestions for ways in which the transition to higher education can be
managed and eased. We will then facilitate discussion around ways in which
individuals and departments might help their students to make a successful
transition into higher education.

As spaces are limited, I would be grateful if you could email me to let me
know if you wish to come along to this seminar. If you have already booked a
place, apologies for the reminder!

I do hope you will be able to come.

All the best

Matthew