Hello All,

We'd like to remind you of the session we are organising on balancing and
restoration and hope you will be able to contribute or attend the session.

This year is the 100th anniversary of R.T. Chamberlin's paper containing
what is probably the world's first balanced cross section (Chamberlin, R.T.,
1910, The Appalachian folds of central Pennsylvania: Journal of Geology, v.
18, p. 228-251). In honour of this groundbreaking contribution there will be
a Theme Session at the annual meeting of the Geological Society of America
to review past successes, failures, problem areas, and future directions of
section balancing and related topics.

We invite you to participate. It is scheduled to be an oral session, plus a
poster session if enough people volunteer for posters. The official title
is, "Successes, failures, and the future of area-volume balancing and
structural restoration: A critical evaluation honouring the centennial of
R.T. Chamberlin's groundbreaking paper on depth-to-detachment calculation."
The meeting is in Denver, Colorado, Sunday October 31 through Wednesday
November 3, 2010. The abstract deadline is August 10, 2010. More details are
available in GSA Today, vol. 20, no. 4/5, or on the GSA website. Submit an
abstract at http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2010AM/index.epl. We are required to
mention that if the minimum number of 12 papers are not submitted, your
paper will be accepted, but placed in a general structure session.

We are making a special effort to invite people with industrial as well as
academic backgrounds. We are also trying to have participants who represent
a wide geographic distribution and who are experts in a variety of
structural styles. If you can participate we would greatly appreciate
hearing from you as soon as possible.

Alan

Alan Gibbs, Director, Midland Valley Exploration, [log in to unmask]
Rick Groshong, Consultant and Emeritus Professor, University of Alabama,
Bob Ratliff, Senior Product Architect, Halliburton/Geo-Logic Systems,

Dr Alan Gibbs
Director
Midland Valley Exploration
144 West George Street