Sorry Umberto and colleagues, I accidentally pressed the SEND button
before finishing the email. I blame the very fine Amarone that I am
drinking this evening.

Dear Umberto,

Thank you for your thoughtful and reasoned analysis for which I am
very grateful in sorting out some of the confusion. I, also, would
like to know the location and qualifications of Matteo Levi. There is
a very distinguished and brilliant Italian Abruzzi film man of this
name. Could it be he?

Again,  when science, politics, and law become entangled, we have a
toxic mix. Alan Gibbs and Dennis Brown have hit the nail on the head.
When scientists are asked to give their "official" considered views
and opinion, they had better be very careful in what they say. They
would do well to keep out of making prognoses and trying to help the
cowboys that inhabit the halls of government. My advice is for
serious scientists to stick to serious science and to avoid the
seductive route to fine hotels, titles, and running things. Keep a
low profile and enjoy your science. Especially, do not become
involved in judging your fellow scientists, the modern trend in
international bureaucracy. Much of modern science is forgetting its
intellectual and scholarly roots.

Best wishes,
John Dewey
--

Please update your address book to use [log in to unmask] as my

Prof. John F. Dewey FRS, Hon. M.R.I.A., Mem. Acad. Eur., For.  Mem.