Hi Mahinda,

The mode characterises directly the tensor shape. A negative mode indicates an oblate profile (i.e. l1 roughly equal to l2, both much larger than l3) and a positive mode a prolate profile (l1 much larger than both l2 and l3), where l's are the tensor eigenvalues. Therefore, you can interpret directly changes in the mode to changes in the relative relationship between the tensor eigenvalues.

It has been empirically observed that voxels with two crossing fibres tend to have an oblate tensor shape (and this approximation improves as the crossing becomes more perpendicular, the fibres more similar and the volume fractions more identical). That's why a negative mode value may indirectly suggest a fibre crossing.

Cheers,
Stam