Thanks for getting back to me, and you are absolutely correct.  My mistake
was that I was only including one structural image in the same folder as my
EPI data.  I was clearly confused in my reading of the fnirt instructions,
and this email chain clarified it for me.  I now have much better
registration.

Thanks for your help!
Ben