Dear Colm,

> I've been running ANOVA on some VBM in randomise. I'm almost certain I've
> got the design and contrasts right based on Eugene's email of 27 May last
> (Re: Correct design setup for ANCOVA with nuisance variable).
>
> So I've got 3 groups L, M, S and they are in the order of the ls command in
> the GM_mod_merg file.
>
> The (abbreviated to 2 subjects per group) design and contrasts looks like
> this (I've been following the ANOVA: 1-factor 4-levels example on the
> webpage):
>
> EV1     EV2     EV3
> 1       1       0
> 1       1       0
> 1       0       1
> 1       0       1
> 1       0       0
> 1       0       0
>
> So assuming EV1 models the last group (S) the EVs are as follows
> EV1: mean
> EV2: L-S
> EV3: M-S

Actually, the interpretation of EV1 is exactly 'S', but as you'll never test
it (or the mean) it doesn't matter.  Otherwise this is correct.

> Contrasts:
>                EV1     EV2     EV3     F-test
> C1      L-M     0       1       0       *
> C2      M-S     0       0       1       *
>
> So assuming I've got this right (i'd be grateful if some one could confirm
> this for me), I then proceed to run randomise using TFCE, threshold (and
> binarise) the tfce_corrp_fstat1 and tfce_corrp_tstat files at 0.95 and use
> the resultant masks on to the corresponding fstat and tstat files. Is this
> correct should I be thresholding the tfce files like this and masking in
> this fashion? (The exact commands are below).

I'm not sure why you're working so hard.  Isn't it sufficient to view the
regions of significance in the corrp TFCE image?  Or is that you want to
view the f-values within the TFCE significant regions?  If so, such a
masking approach is reasonable.

> The problem I then have is that while I get regions showing a group effect
> from the fstat and some of these are shown in tstat1, the regions identified
> showing differences from tstat2 are not showing up in the thresholded fstat
> image.

The is not unusual at all.  A F-test is testing more 'degrees of freedom'
and will not always detect something that was significant in a single t
image alone.

> The fact that there regions showing in tstat2 that are not in fstat have me
> confused. Have I got something wrong with the method below or should
> non-overlap be expected?

Nope. Just basic stats.  Consider even just a single degree of freedom F
(i.e. on one t contrast).  A one-sided T with significant P-value 0.04 will
not be signifiant in the F, as the F is equivalent to the two-sided T, and
will have P-value 0.08.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

> Any insight on this would be gratefully appreciated.
>
> randomise -i usersOnly_GM_mod_merg_s2 -o longVsMidVsShort -m GM_mask -d
> longVsMidVsShort.mat -t longVsMidVsShort.con -f longVsMidVsShort.fts -n 5000
> -T
>
> fslmaths longVsMidVsShort_tfce_corrp_fstat1 -thr 0.95 -bin
> mask/longVsMidVsShort_mask_pcorrected_fstat1
> fslmaths longVsMidVsShort_fstat1 -mas
> mask/longVsMidVsShort_mask_pcorrected_fstat1
> corrected/longVsMidVsShort_fstat1_corrected
>
> for t in $( seq  1 1 2 ) ; do
>    if [ -f longVsMidVsShort_tfce_corrp_tstat${t}.nii.gz ] ; then
>        fslmaths longVsMidVsShort_tfce_corrp_tstat${t} -thr 0.95 -bin
> mask/longVsMidVsShort_mask_pcorrected_tstat$t
>        fslmaths longVsMidVsShort_tstat${t} -mas
> mask/longVsMidVsShort_mask_pcorrected_tstat$t
> corrected/longVsMidVsShort_tstat${t}_corrected
>    fi
> done
>
> Regards,
> --
> Colm G. Connolly, Ph. D.
> Dept of Psychiatry
> University of California, San Diego
> 9500 Gilman Dr. #0855
> La Jolla, CA 92093-0855
> Tel: +1-858-246-0608
> Fax: +1-858-534-9450

Thomas Nichols, PhD
Principal Research Fellow, Head of Neuroimaging Statistics
Department of Statistics & Warwick Manufacturing Group
University of Warwick
Coventry  CV4 7AL
United Kingdom

Email: [log in to unmask]
Phone, Stats: +44 24761 51086, WMG: +44 24761 50752
Fax:  +44 24 7652 4532