Paul

1	tidying lavage arthroscopy for OA knee
2	vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures (Buchbinder R, N Engl J Med 2009;361:557-68)

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Glasziou
Sent: Friday, 11 June 2010 12:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Popular but ineffective treatments?

Dear All
Following the influenza discussion, I wanted to ask for ideas of
treatments that became (or are) popular but where evidence showed them
ineffective.
For example,
1. Autologous bone marrow transplantation for breast cancer
2. Evening primrose oil for menstrual symptoms
3. Neuroblastoma screening in infants
4. HRT for prevention of CVD in menopause
These examples are from Testing Treatments which is downloadable (free
pdf!) at:
http://www.jameslindlibrary.org/testing-treatments.html
The book is being updated, and we are looking for new examples.
I will compile the list and send to everyone.
If you can include the reference (or clues to it) I'd be grateful
Many thanks
Paul Glasziou,
CEBM