Apologies for taking this opportunity to self publicise, but James's reference to two books about abstract writing
 led me to want to draw attention to another, though it is now out of print, following the demise of the small publishing company that produced it.

The book is Called Writing your Abstract: a guide for would be conference epresenters. It was written by Gavin and Susan Fairbairn and published with APS publishing, who then collapsed and solod out to another company who had no interest in the book. You can see it on Amazon (though they don't seem to have any copies) at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Writing-Your-Abstract-Would-be-conference-Presenters/dp/190387713X/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276788796&sr=8-7

I am currently talking with a new company about a new edition, but if you have an interest in the old one, you can let me know and I'll send you a copy of the manuscript, which actually has things in it that are useful for developing any kind of writing.

Best wishes,

Gavin

Gavin J. Fairbairn
Professor of Ethics and