Ashley Lerch
SPED 330
6/4/10
Final Reflection
	When I signed up to take SPED 330 Discrimination and Oppression of People with disabilities I knew I was going to learn a lot. Within these last three weeks I learned a lot about disabilities and how people are treated among society who has a disability. This class has really opened my eyes and changed the way I view others. I had a feeling that this was going to be a good class because Dr. Neuville was teaching the class. I had him for another Special Education class and he really made me think about how people with disabilities were treated in the past. I had never thought that if it was not for those who fought for what they wanted people now would still be in the same boat.
	I have tried to view others for who they are and not their disability. I know that if I had an imperfection I would not want others to stare at me or question my abilities. So why should I do it to someone else. I have learned that people with disabilities have so much passion for things that they enjoy. They are the ones that want to teach others just like them that they can follow their dreams. Over these last three weeks my view has changed and I no longer judge people with disabilities from the outside. I have learned that they are just like you and I accept that they have a physical impairment. Society needs to take the negative views of those with disabilities that they have and toss them out the window. In order for everyone to be treated the same we need to start with the attitudes we have toward those with disabilities.
	In just two years I will be graduating from Millersville with an Elementary Education/Special Education degree. I know that I will benefit a lot from this class with what I have learned from the articles that I read. I hope that as a teacher I will be able to change the way my students treat others that are different from them. Since inclusion is becoming more popular in schools there is a greater opportunity that when I am a teacher I will have a disabled student in my classroom. I need to be able to accommodate my student as well as make them feel a part of the classroom environment. I do not want others to make this student feel down all the time and not want to be a part of the activities.
Through the readings I can take what I learned and apply it to my life and hopefully change the way we see those with disabilities. I want to be part of the generation that gets rid of negative views toward others with disabilities. I know that by taking this SPED 330 class I will remember what I read and try not to make people with disabilities feel the way I remember reading.

Archives and tools are located at: