When I started this class I thought I knew a lot about people with disabilities. I knew how to help diagnose disorders, I could name all the steps in the diagnosis and IEP process and could name the many disabilities that exist. But what I learned from this class is that those things, although important as a teacher, are not really what matters. In all my classes I had in college so far, nothing compared to this class. So many of my other classes taught me about what makes a person a person with disabilities, but none of them taught me about the person behind the disability. I thought that this class did that and much more. I learned so much through the history of disabilities and what people with disabilities faced over the years. What I learned was shocking and sometimes heart breaking. I learned about the role that politics and policy play for people with disabilities and how in many ways they have to fight for their rights just like women and African Americans did. I am glad that times seem to be getting better for people with disabilities, but I also see the changes that still have to occur. I am excited that, as a teacher, I will have the opportunity to be that change for my children and I will make it my personal goal to be an advocate for those with disabilities. Helen Keller inspired me when she said that we had to be the voice for those who cannot speak and I plan on remembering that and always doing my best to stand up for those who can’t on their own.

Archives and tools are located at: