From: The Disability-Research Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of M. Fasick
Sent: 04 June 2010 15:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Final Reflection

M. Fasick

SPED 330

Final

Prompt: I assume if I move toward recognizing and respecting the beliefs and practices of others my chosen field will benefit in what ways?

      It's like the saying goes, "You don't know what another person's life is like until you walked in their shoes". In moving towards recognizing and respecting the beliefs and practices of others, I have to first become aware of them. I must try to "walk" in their footsteps and follow the paths they have taken. In doing this I will not only be a better person, but I will be better able to serve and advocate for individuals with disabilities.

      One step in recognizing and respecting the beliefs and practices of individuals with disabilities is to learn and understand disability history. In learning about the history of disability I can begin to recognize the struggle individuals with disabilities had to and continue to overcome. This "overcoming" is the result of cultural and societal views of disability. In learning about cultural and societies perspectives disability throughout history, I can apply these points of view into my chosen field of Special Education. As an educator of exceptional students, understanding how culture and society feels about disability will show me the barriers that I need to try and break. In throughout history some of these barriers include stereotyping and discrimination. Knowing the stereotypes and discrimination against individuals with disabilities will allow me to focus on ways to end them.

      This focus will be channeled in my field though preparing my students to be independent individuals who are equally worthy of opportunities to follow their dreams and aspirations. Ending stereotyping and discrimination will allow for all equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities. However, this cannot be done by only one person. By recognizing and respecting the beliefs and practices of others will also benefit my field through disability advocacy. In being an advocate for disability, I will help teach other to recognize and respect individuals with disabilities. Furthermore, I can support individuals advocating for themselves.

      Not only does recognizing and respecting the beliefs and practices of others befit myself, the field I am going into, and individuals with disabilities, but it also allows me to recognize and respect the beliefs and practices of others. In understanding the beliefs and practices of individuals, I can understand their history, culture, and their way of life. Knowing a person's belief and practices can help my field progress towards equality. By understanding each other respect for one another can occur.

      In moving towards recognizing and respecting the beliefs and practices of others my chosen field will benefit by gaining someone who is passionate about supporting individuals with disabilities. Through recognizing and respecting the beliefs and practices of other, I will understand the history of disability, the individual, and barriers that continue to oppress and disrespect disability. Through this understanding I will be able to walk in someone else' shoes and support and create change.

Archives and tools are located at:

________________________________
Scope is a registered charity (number 208231) and a company limited by
guarantee (number 520866).
Our registered office is at 6 Market Road, London N7 9PW, England.
Our VAT number is 805156939.

Visit our website at http://www.scope.org.uk

This message, and any file(s) transmitted with it are confidential
and are intended only for the person(s) to whom they have been
addressed by the sender. This message may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this
message, or if you believe it was transmitted to you in error, you are
required to delete the message and any copies of it, and to notify the
sender immediately. Any unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution,
or printing of this message or accompanying files, or unauthorised use
of any information contained therein, by anyone other than the
intended recipient(s) is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Any views expressed in this message or in any file(s) transmitted with
it are those of the author, and may not necessarily represent the
views of Scope.

Archives and tools are located at: