From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Chris Keene
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:54 PM
Subject: Re: [localsustuk] News Items from the USA re electric vehicles and solar pv plus Notes

It would be nice to know the average cost of driving a mile on electric and on petrol. I believe electric is much cheaper. But how much of the petrol cost is tax?  Would electric still be cheaper than petrol if taxed at the same rate?

The reason I ask is a campaigning point. All good campaigns have an enemy, and I know the oil companies have been buying up the patents for electric batteries and blocking their development.  If we could show the public how much they would save by having electric cars rather than petrol we could get them to really hate the oil companies, and just maybe get them to disbelieve the climate denial the oil industry has been funding.

Or am I just grasping at straws?  We must do something to conquer the deniers - only 19% of college educated Republics in the USA believe in anthropogenic global warming (and the more educated you are the less you are likely to believe, which suggests to me this is a function of the climate denial propaganda educated Republicans are exposed to)

Chris