Hi,

A few weeks ago, I have already cited renin as such an example. With two slightly differerent molecules in the asu, certain inhibitors bind only to one of them and the other renin molecule is empty.
Look at 2G24 for example in the PDB.
Molecule A is loaded, while B is empty. The difference in binding is certainly due to small conformational differences between the two independent molecules in the asu.
In most of the other structuers with other chemotypes both sites could be loaded.
In further examples (3KM4) crystal contacts create additional, probably weak binding sites (4 inhibitors bound to two renin molecules in the asu).
And this is not all. As Steve Soisson pointed out last time, many stories could be shared on this.

regards,

Zsolt Bocskei
sanofi-aventis
Strasbourg