This very rapid reply to my withdrawal as a reviewer for NPG journals contains a response issued last night purporting to clarify issues obfuscated by the UC Digital Library in their letter. They claim that the data cited by the UCDL are misleading. I can neither verify or refute this claim. What does appear to be the case is that the UCDL letter was a pre-emptive move. In my opinion such pre-emptive moves are the only effective way to stay in the battle against publishing behemoths.

I urge everybody to follow the development of this chapter in the continuing evolution of the crisis in scientific publishing. I also highly recommend to others the two sites referred to by Tim Fenn earlier today:

http://science.slashdot.org/story/10/06/09/213256/Univ-of-California-Faculty-May-Boycott-Nature-Publisher

http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/news03.html

The latter letter from Don Knuth is seven years old, but has lost none of its insight and timeliness. It ignores the serious impact of the law requiring NIH funded authors to submit their published manuscripts to PubMed Central, as it predated the introduction of the Cornyn-Lieberman legislation that led to the PMC mandate.

I am a rather late comer to these issues, which have been brewing far longer than I have been following them. Wider sensitivity to these issues on everyone's part is to our common benefit. Despite the press release from NPG there is no contract yet with UCDL. My feeling is that pressure should continue to be exerted, and urge folks to consider actions similar to mine. Authors, as a group are in the unenviable position of having the fewest resources, the most to lose, and the least coherence. Nonetheless, the power we can potentially bring to bear is not insignificant.

Charlie

Begin forwarded message: