Figure 29 The six textsorts - from GINs to PINs, DEAR

From within, and often revealing,

the present perspective -

DESCRIPTION

As ‘done’ from now, in the interview’, about ‘always’]

Allegedly eternal qualities of entities, persons, landscapes, systems, contexts

 – no movement/ no history, no events

‘Global’ or ‘partial’ -

From within, and revealing,

the present perspective -

EVALUATION

[As done from ‘now’, about the alleged ‘point’ or significance of the ‘event sequence’]

The ‘moral’ of a particular story (PIN or Report) or (in case of a “global” evaluation) the ‘moral’ of the biographical account as a whole, ultimately of the whole life

Present perspective

ARGUMENTATION

[As done from ‘now’, about ‘issues’]

Theorising, attitude-pronouncing,

position-taking, arguing ….

‘Thin Cord’ of bare events

REPORT

[done from now, conveying a  then]

Experience-distant, little or no emotional involvement, bare police report in ‘cold fact’ terms, as if an ‘outsider’, like a BDC ‘story about’

Pseudo-PINs

GINs

(and TINs)

And Condensed Situations

[done from now, about frequent thens]

Generic incident narrative – “the way things always happen(ed)”

Typical incident narrative – “imagined-average vignette”

Condensed Situation – one image, event, feeling, but a narrative fails to emerge

Episodic (one  incident)

Epic (many incidents)

About-PINs – can be turned into

in-PINs

PARTICULAR INCIDENT NARRATIVE (PINs)

        About-PINs told from a mostly now-perspective

          In-PINs with part re- living of original experience, partly ‘done’ from the then-perspective

“So there we are, at the bar…, a Saturday evening…he said…she said…I did…I’m  thinking… I’m  feeling….. I can see it right now… It’s very strange…..Then what happened was… Afterwards I felt…. Quite a critical moment, because….”

Indicate MIXED TEXTSORTS with dominant component first : e.g. “REP/arg”

* = The ‘action’ in question is that related in the Central Event Sequence (see QRI p.254) which can be narratively recounted in thin REPORT and/or rich PIN form.

Types of narrative: REPORTs… and GINs….. and about-PINs….and in-PINs  all can be seen to be on a spectrum of thin-ness and rich-ness of  (i) particular incident detail and (ii) apparent emotional closeness / distance.

ARGUMENTATION … and… EVALUATION lie on a spectrum of relative detachment from a REP/PIN account .

Only DESCRIPTION does not lie on a spectrum. [Perhaps a GIN or TIN could be seen as a way of doing ‘Description’ in the form of a non-particularising narrative?].