Dear all,

I would be very grateful if you could make the following notice available to any of your readers who might find it relevant.

With apologies for cross-posting:

The archives and manuscript collections of Balliol College, Oxford, will be closed from 1 October 2010 for about a year.

A major building project is currently underway to rehouse Balliol's archives and manuscripts in new premises in St Cross Church, Holywell.

Owing to the work entailed in preparing collections for the move, and then the move itself, we will not be able to accommodate enquirers wishing to consult archives or manuscripts in person during this period.

We will endeavour to help with written enquiries throughout the closed period, but responses may take longer than usual and it will not be possible to undertake in-depth research on behalf of enquirers. Readers are asked to be especially careful to exhaust printed and online sources before enquiring during this difficult period.

We will do our best to accommodate readers with an urgent need to consult original manuscript material over the next four months, before the closure period begins. Please contact library staff to plan your visit as far in advance as possible at [log in to unmask]

We regret any inconvenience that this may cause visitors and readers, but we trust that you will appreciate the necessity of the work, and we look forward to welcoming you to the new facilities at St Cross.

We are unable to give a firm opening date yet, but we will keep our website updated as building work progresses. For more information about the St Cross Church project, please see http://archives.balliol.ox.ac.uk/Archives/stcross01.asp

Anna Sander, Lonsdale Curator of Archives & Manuscripts
Balliol College, Oxford OX1 3BJ
http://archives.balliol.ox.ac.uk