Following my last message relating to the importance of locally-based advocacy activities, I wanted to let everybody know about the plans that the Archives & Records Association have to hold a series of UK-wide events aimed at raising awareness of the importance of local archives and records services amongst a relevant audience of decision-makers and opinion-formers. The main theme of such events will be to show those who actually make funding and strategic decisions in their localities (lead elected members, chief officers, directors, etc) the value that archives and records services bring to the corporate body in which they reside (whether that’s a local authority, joint local authorities, higher education institution or a partnership arrangement) and how the activities they engage in actually contribute to the goals of the wider organisation.

The ARA is planning to hold events in the UK’s Capitals and in Dublin over the coming months. The events will be aimed primarily at local decision-makers and opinion-formers, including lead elected members, chief executives and directors, vice-chancellors and senior managers. User groups will also be engaged in the process as the point has been made that our users can be some of our best advocates. Other key audiences will be Members of Parliament (Westminster, Scotland and TDs in Dublin) and Assembly Members in Belfast, Cardiff and London.

To kick-off this process an event will be planned for Cardiff and work is currently underway to produce a guide to the local archives and records services relevant to Wales, along the same lines as the joint LGA/Society/NCA/TNA guide as referred to in my last posting. The event will be held in the Senedd and we will be able to showcase the best in Welsh archival services, work with partner bodies such as CyMAL, WLGA and user/community groups in an effort to raise public awareness and lobby an invited audience as outlined above.

ARA will work with our existing regional network and in partnership with allied organisations to deliver this programme of locally-targeted advocacy.

Regards

René

Mr René Kinzett

Head of Public Affairs

Archives & Records Association

Mob 07587 635402

www.archives.org.uk

Registered as a Charity in England & Wales No 104063