From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Mander
Sent: 21 June 2010 10:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Archives and the Budget

As everyone will be all to well aware by now, tomorrow will see an emergency budget, widely trailed as heralding the deepest spending cuts for a generation.

Colleagues in higher education and local authorities already have some inkling of what the effects might be, but have we as a profession thought of what our approach should be?  The level of cuts that has been trailed presages a long hard look at what local authorities should continue to do, and we may not just be looking at percentage cuts, but the wholesale retreat from some provision of services. This may well be coupled with the practical effects of the ‘Big Society’ idea – greater use of volunteers. Many of us support the considerable contribution volunteers make to what we do – but also recognise the investment in staff and management that is needed to get the best from those volunteers and treat them fairly.  We don’t envisage services that are almost wholly dependent on volunteers – though that is what may be on the cards.

Archives for the 21st Century rowed back on the more radical implications of the ‘fewer, bigger stronger’ line of thinking and rightly encouraged the exploration of partnership working. There are relatively few examples of archive services that have come together other than as a result of local government reorganisation and creating successful patterns of common working in ordinary times would require ad-hoc working to create the basis for more shared services. We may not now have that luxury of time if cuts, especially to smaller and potentially more vulnerable local authority and HE services lead to service closure and ‘moth-balling’ of collections, as has already happened at Salford. At that point there are no remaining resources to persuade senior managers to look at joint services – it is too late. I fear that the coming round will not prompt creative thinking, but rather panic within each local authority silo as cuts are worked out within the authority, without the time to consider how services can be sustained in different – and shared – models.

So why this email now? I think we need a debate on what our stance as a profession should be.  For those attending the Archives policy road shows there should be the chance to put your views and see how the change of government has affected the thinking behind a strategy presented to the last government. But we need a vision of what archive services should be in a new and austere world and be clear on what opportunities there will be for us. We should then invite Ed Vaizey, the minister with responsibility for archives in DCMS, to give the government’s view of the future, perhaps after the spending round has been announced in the autumn, hear his position and put questions and ideas directly to him.

Archives for London has the capacity to host a London-based meeting and would be willing to work with ARA London and any other interested organisation to make the invitation and plan date and venue, though we would also partner ARA at a national level, should Council decide to take this on.

But for the time being the discussion list is yours. I know many of you will feel constrained by your role as an employee, but the debate for the time being is not about individual services – it is about our professional place in the debate and the stand we, as a profession should take.

David Mander OBE
159 Alexandra Park Road
London N22 7UL
020 8889 4353
07970 215851

Emails sent to and from this organisation will be monitored in accordance
with the law to ensure compliance with policies and to minimise any
security risks.
The information contained in this email or any of its attachments may
be privileged or confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of
the addressee. Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive
this email by mistake, please advise the sender immediately by using
the reply facility in your email software.