In my own hasty, stating-the-obvious, train-of-thought style email the other day, this is what I was starting to grope towards when I was talking about "undemocratic consequences" of archive access withdrawal / curtailment.

A friend who knows little about archives commented recently that little old ladies who can't do family history anymore is a shame, but that society would probably rather 'have more police on the beat' if given a choice re. funding priorities; and that perhaps we could/should charge for access etc. to be self-sustaining. i.e. he like so many others saw what we do as perhaps an unneccesary luxury.

He changed his mind when I pointed out that people on lower incomes might therefore be democratically excluded from accessing council minutes, electoral registers, information pertaining to rights of way disputes, information pertaining to abandoned mines near the house they want to buy, etc. etc.

The case can be made to our local decision-makers that it's more democratic, efficient and cost-effective to provide an environment where the public can access and research these and many other sources themselves and are able to democratically and fairly draw their own conclusions from documentary evidence - and NOT just for "historical leisure purposes" - than it would be for councils to have to put in an inordinate amount of staff time doing the research themselves in order to meet their FOI obligations, which could then in any case be accused of biased misinterpretation.

Steven Davies
Archivist / Archifydd
Flintshire Record Office / Archifdy Sir y Fflint
Tel./Ffôn: (01244) 532414

Chris Pickford <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Archivists, conservators and records managers." <[log in to unmask]>

23/06/2010 07:58
Please respond to
Chris Pickford <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Re: Budget and Archives

A rather too hasty contribution to what needs to be a considered debate and a carefully thought-out campaign, but it worries me that several of the contributions so far seem to be putting archives firmly back in the "history box". Moreover, there's nothing new in alliances with historians and historical organisations that have been suggested - they mostly exist already (if a little dormant), and support has been mobilised in the past.

It seems to me that one of the (very) great advances of recent years has been the broadening of the user-base for archives. It's the diversity of use, and the relevance of archives to all in an often practical rather than cultural way, that justifies the highest level of defence to services under threat. Making a broad case should be a lot more effective than anything that appears to badge archives as the playthings of a particular section of society.

By all means play the history cards, but the other cards in the pack are the trumps

Chris Pickford

Opinions advice, conclusions and other information in this

message that do not relate to the official business of

Flintshire County Council shall be understood as neither

given nor endorsed by it or on its behalf, and consequently

Flintshire County Council shall bear no responsibility

whatsoever in respect thereof.

Deellir na fydd unrhyw safbwyntiau, na chynghorion, na

chasgliadau nac unrhyw wybodaeth arall yn y neges hon,

nad ydynt yn berthnasol i waith swyddogol

Cyngor Sir y Fflint, yn cael eu cynnig na'u cadarnhau ganddo

nac ar ei ran, ac felly ni fydd Cyngor Sir y Fflint yn derbyn

unrhyw gyfrifoldeb am y rhannau hynny o'r neges.