Thanks Eddie,

Thanks for your support, but maybe I can throw down the gauntlet and ask others to explain why they disagree with me and agree with HEFCE on the Student Number Control and institutional transfer?   I'd like to hear what they think, because silence is assent by default, and anyway I don't pretend to have all the answers!

My feeling is that the big WP institutions don't really care about this, even though as someone who worked in them for 20 years I would say they should because a principle is at stake.   Pragmatically though, it gives them an encouragement for bringing their Foundation Degree provision under 'franchise' arrangements and reduces the advantages of direct funding for smaller HEIs and FECs that can offer a niche but not the whole offer, ie it reduces competition and encourages conglomeration and monopoly.

The Russell Group in the main wouldn't admit a foundation degree student (typically with low or no A levels) into the third year of a degree anyway, so they aren't bothered either.

So it is down to a few voices of dissent in smaller institutions or with a lifelong learning philosophy, like me, to keep banging the drum.

My concern is twofold:

1) if it's really about reducing the burden on the taxpayers, then it's perverse and illogical, as a student progressing from seperate courses between institutions creates the same burden on the tax payer as a student who progresses within the institution (including sub-contracted/franchise students in partner colleges registered with the top up institution).  The whole idea of Lifelong Learning Networks was to create the opportunity for people to progress without barriers, and was supposed to be the reason for pumping HEFCE £millions into them over the last and next few years.  It's the Grand Old Duke of York strategy of marching people up to the top of the hill and back down again.  Since full time FD progression to top up goes through UCAS anyway (though this is widely flouted  because institutions fear competition), there are alternative control mechanism that would at least equalise the difference between 'progression between' and 'progression within' institutions.  But the wider picture is that the 'FD to topup' also needs to compete on a level playing field with the 'straight to bachelors' option, otherwise it will join the graveyard of failed initiatives.

2) Someone needs to stick up for the student!  They should go where it's best for them to go and not be caught up in bureaucratic obstructions and perverse outcomes of the funding system.  Even in a period where the main issue is the size of the pot, we should not lose sight of the fact that we should be fair to all the students.  The original idea for the two year degree came from the Robertson report Choosing to Change back in 1994, but the whole underpinning philosophy in that report and at the time was a more student oriented flexible system of HE.  If we accept the current arrangements we are heading back to the 'universities know best' philosophy that blocked the development of a mass higher education system for decades.

Hopefully I will have shamed a few people into adding their voices, but to be quite frank I cannot see many vice chancellors banging the table with HEFCE about this one when there are much bigger issues at stake; which is a shame because I think we should judge any system (or society) by how it looks after the little people who don't have the greatest voice.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if I become any more than a lone voice.

Regards

Mike Milne-Picken
Academic Registrar
Royal Northern College of Music
124 Oxford Road
Manchester
M13 9RD
T (44) 0161 907 5331
F (44) 0161 273 8188
E [log in to unmask]<blocked::mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.rncm.ac.uk