From: Jonathan Middle [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 09 June 2010 16:17
To: Ian Barlow
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: NEQAS eGFR/creatinines

Hi

Whilst 'anchoring' to a more accurate target (which has been properly validated against the reference method), is desirable, accuracy and traceability of results cannot be assured unless the method used is analytcally specific for the measurand.

It is possible for a manufacturer to claim traceability to IDMS for a method's calibrants, but if the method is not analytically specific, results may still be biased, probably in a concentration-dependent way and probably at important clinical decision points if these are at relatively low concentrations where lack of specificity is more of a problem.

Whilst it may be considered by some to be pragmatically necessary to apply adjustment factors to achieve harmonisation of results for clinical decision making, this is not good science.

The solution is only to use methods which have been validated by a split-sample comparison exercise with the reference method, using a panel of unprocessed sera with endogenous creatinine concentrations within the clinically appropriate range.

Here is a link to the JCTLM database for creatinine reference materials:
http://www.bipm.org/jctlm/search.do?sortBy=Analyte_Name&searchString=creatinine&analyteCategory=Metabolites+and+substrates&matrixCategory=Blood+serum&countryCode=&status=P&type=isRM&x=39&y=5

Look also at : http://www.nkdep.nih.gov/labprofessionals/commutabilitystudy.htm for a US commutability study of creatinine reference materials.

Here is a key reference: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18605952

Regards