Dear all,

I have serious concerns about the spread of creatinine/eGFRr results on the NEQAS scheme.

I know this is nothing new and am aware of NEQAS past efforts to try and resolve this using slope adjustments – but has that been effective in any way?

At present our method group is running with a positive bias of around 15-20% against the ALTM – which clearly is unsatisfactory. However, is the ALTM the “true” creatinine?

I am not particularly in favour of “adjusting calibration” but something needs to be done.

Is there a WHO material available that could be used to “anchor” our method/s against? Or even better, is there a WHO standard available which the manufacturer’s could calibrated all their assays with? (perhaps they are already doing this?).

I am aware that this is a complex issue as many of the picrate methods are non-linear in any case. However until we can all afford to run enzymatic assays we have a problem to deal with as many of our patients are currently getting classified as CKD erroneously.

I am sure NEQAS, and others have views on this but I for one would appreciate a rapid solution to this unsatisfactory situation.

Regards

Ian

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/