Hi Mark

The origin of the myth of ascent through the Tree of Life is probably
based on "Egyptian Books of the Afterlife" such as "Book of Gates" etc -
in which case the "spheres/sephira" are a series of caves - final
gateways open either to the stars or dawn -
although I dont see why they shouldn't also be within a mountain -
perhaps the mountains of the east and west which for example symbolise
sunset and sunrise - .
BTW this kind of cave symbolism recurs in other related cultures/mythos
ie Iranisam mithraism . . .

Mogg