Just to take this issue somewhat seriously...

As Alan says, the U.S. fails miserably in overall statistics.  The system's
value for money can't possibly be comparable to other systems', because any
overall difference in quality could not possibly equal the difference in
cost.  Besides, the proportion of uninsured means U.S. access on average is
pretty bad, and also reduces any plausible measure of overall quality.  We
don't need the full set of Commonwealth measures to know that.

The more interesting question is whether, for the well-insured portion of
the population (which includes the median voter), the U.S. health care
system provides care that is equal to or superior to that offered in other
systems.  I think a focus on such a question on the part of the well-insured
is short-sighted, because they should not assume they will stay
well-insured.  But, for most voters, the question is whether reform to make
the system "more like other countries" would improve their situation.  For
most voters, costs may be a horribly bad value but (a) they're used to
paying what they pay, and (b) they do not see a large part of the costs
because it is the employer share of insurance premia.

So the question is: if you are well-insured, how does U.S. care compare to
care in other countries?  The Commonwealth data may help one think about
that question.  However, in a lot of cases, poor U.S. performance on
measures may simply be due to the large number of uninsured (who, for
example, will not have a regular doctor, normally).  This is especially true
when the variation across countries is small, so it's really only a matter
of a few percentage points between the highest and lowest rankings.
Moreover, the data greatly emphasize process measures (e.g. electronic
medical records) and primary care, as opposed to (for example) access to
surgery.  I know the theories that support that emphasis, but do not expect
the public to believe them. Nor would the public necessarily weight the
scales in the same way.  For example, timeliness of care (Exhibit 5) might
seem more important to the average person than the process measures that
dominate the Coordinated Care category (Exhibit 4c).  The well-insured
person also might care much more about timeliness for herself than about the
equity scales.

On average, then, the Commonwealth data reports on the overall system in
ways that are useful from a population perspective and so from a
policy-maker's view, but do not necessarily reflect reality as it will be
perceived by an individual voter assessing her stakes in change, or by
politicians considering the views of individual voters.  To put this another
way: when I have seen comparisons of care actually received for specific
diseases, the U.S. does not normally get scored as the lowest.  It is not
systematically the most successful, but the measures tend to put it in the
upper half.  Please don't get me wrong: the system still is a miserable
failure, given what we spend and the access problems.  But if we were to
focus on the *median* citizen and what she cares about for her own care, we
might conclude that the Commonwealth data doesn't accurately measure that.

It's still something I use, but not quite in the way suggested by the
authors.  When I've used past studies it has been mainly to challenge
audiences' presumptions that U.S. quality justifies our other problems.  So
I've displayed quality measures that might seem particularly important to
individuals.  I don't feel a need to argue we're worst.  At our level of
costs and access, I'm more interested in showing we're not, on quality,
best.

cheers,
Joe White