I agree with much that Henrik, Steve L., and Steve T. have said here. I've
been talking with Ralph Bathurst about this for awhile, and it seems like
now is the time to get the journal going again, along with an aacorn board
(a minimal one I suppose :-)), and the conference. Tying the journal to the
conference and/or membership seems to be the way most mgmt. groups are
handling things these days: Academy of Mgmt., EGOS, SCOS. Seems to work
well.

RE Henrik’s idea of doing something, I completely agree. We could have art
pieces as part of each issue, focused on some mgmt. theme or question. Could
be pictures, but also with links to multimedia pages. If we had some good
works, say 2 or 3 with thoughtful commentary alongside the scholarly
content, the journal might have wider appeal. Having co-organized the
summit/conference Henrik mentioned, it’s clear to me that these efforts need
close attention...in this particular case we never got the necessary buy-in
to get the book published; hence the balloons. Still, there was some very
cool stuff that was developed—clever insights into mgmt. and economics,
replete with a cartoon section.

Another practice-based section could be for art-at-work projects...some
artistic interventions around particular mgmt. problems. I’ve been doing
this with my MBA Art of Mgmt. class and it’s turned out extremely well. I
teach them art thinking and they have to apply it to their various mgmt.
issues and create managerial art projects. Some of the projects are very
good indeed and are having many direct and indirect workplace effects. So
having some things like this, perhaps where we get a subgroup of aacorners
to work on a mgmt. problem and then do an attractive writeup, could also
extend the circulation. So the market becomes academics, managers, and art
communities. And with this, we might eventually get some donors!

In terms of subject areas, there are many many areas, ones that could
constitute themed sections. All the mgmt. functions are just waiting for art
thinking to hit their doors--strategy, HR, ops, etc. And there are hosts of
mgmt. issues, ranging from greed to green, that could nicely become the
subject of artistic gazes and interventions.

Going back to Henrik’s idea of doing something together, face to face, I
think having a partial writing section at the conference could be hugely fun
and useful. I wouldn’t want that to be the only or even main way that
journal content is made, but as a bi-annual or annual event that turns into
an issue, it could be super.

Finally, I’m a big advocate of rigour and quality. Aesthesis had a pretty
look, and the design was certainly rigorous and high quality, but the
content was often too vague and lacking good data/theory. I know because I
wanted our library to subscribe. It had to go through a vetting process, and
the journal was soundly rejected. We ended up subscribing because I paid for
the thing myself!

Okay, these are my ramblings for now. Thanks Steve, Steve, and Henrik. D