Hi

I have a couple questions about setting up first level factorial designs and
testing for interactions.

I have factor P (perspective taking) which has two levels (other, self).

I also have factor G (guilt) which has four levels (none, low, med, high).

I thought of doing this with two EVs , one for each factor. The factor P can
be specified with  -1 and 1 for 'other' or 'self' in the three column timing
file (-1 and 1). For factor G, I can weight the events as -3, -1, 1, 3 as
weights in the 3 column timing file. Then in FEAT I can click on the
interaction of EV for factor P and the EV for factor G. Is this a valid set
up for this design to assess main effects and interactions ?

Also is it valid to weight factor G with 1, 2, 3, 4 (instead of -3, -1, 1,
-3)?

Alternatively if I collapse the G levels into none+low and med+high
resulting in two levels instead of 4, then I could use -1 and 1 in the three
column file. In this case what is the difference between using the
interaction button in FEAT versus a double contrast (timing file to specfify
-1 and 1 at for  the two P levels;  -1 and 1 for the simplified G levels;
and a contrast of the EVs for P and G) ?

Finally, as a variant to above, how about creating 4 EVs, guilt, neutral,
other, self, and doing the double contrasts at the second level. Is there a
difference between this approach and using the interaction approach?

In general is there a recommended approach for doing more complicated
factorial design interactions of first level inputs ?

Raj Morey