Dear Jillian
In view of the further info on the mice deposition, eg on a 2nd floor, I'd be inclined to agree it's more likely a personal ritual rather than a charm deposition. Ritual behaviour is part of standard human behaviour, so common in all periods in both individual and broader cultural expressions. It's rather unfortunate that 'ritual' behaviour attributes are now seen as 'don't know what else' or as superstition or religious by many. It may have been someone's hoard of important objects, either child or adult. Whether it was a burial is more intriquing.

In terms of your deposit, what exactly makes you think the mice were deposited as skeletons? Are/were the bones articulated? If so, that implies the presence of soft tissue. It would be extremely hard work to deflesh mice and maintain articulation -- it would certainly require much consideration and intent. Is it possible people there had access to biology lab specimens? If the site is dry and well-ventilated I would expect more a mummification process of fleshed animals. What other types of materials were found?

Pam Cross

In a message dated 07/05/2010 08:11:37 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
Hi Rich,

The matchbox was part of a large collection of material (some deliberately and some accidentally placed) that was located directly under the floor boards on floor 2 of the asylum. I guess what is most intriguing is that it appears that it was the skeletons, not the fleshed mice that were placed in the box as there is other organic material such as paper associated with them.

Cheers,
Jillian

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, 7 May 2010 1:48 PM
To: Jillian Garvey
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] Mice skeletons in a matchbox

Jillian, was the matchbox just in the subflor space, or was it actually buried in the dirt under the floor?  If it was the later, I'd guess you are looking at a couple of mice kept as "pets" by children in the asylum, and "buried" when they died.

I'd be very hesitant to suggest the "symbolic/religious" exdplanation - that just harks back to a time in archaeology when anything we didn't undersand was attributed to relgion.

Rich