Dear All,

I fully agree that databases of measurements should be archived online,
and I would go further to encourage our colleagues to share their entire
databases (beyond measurements) online, as well. I'm sure we all agree
that this potentially very useful information should not be lost and the
Web offers a space solution so that we no longer have to just publish
summary tables of our findings.

One of the most important elements is making sure that a data set is
linked to the report or publication that describes the site,
methodology, etc., or that this information is provided alongside the
data set. I have published some of my data in Open Context (a system
developed by my organization):
http://opencontext.org/sets/Turkey/?proj=Domuztepe+Excavations&cat=Animal+Bone
Another nice example is here:
http://opencontext.org/projects/B1DAC335-4DC6-4A57-622E-75BF28BA598D
(where Canan Çakırlar published data related to her BAR publication).

In Open Context, the dataset is archived and published in the analyst's
name. Each item has its own URL and a citation so the data can always be
found again, cited in a print publication, etc. All it requires is data
in tabular format and some descriptive information about the project.
Data from Open Context can be downloaded by users in various formats to
make it easily reusable in a variety of software applications (as Mike
emphasized below).

Open Context is currently supported by a series of grants, and our
primary goal is to help researchers share their data in order to
increase the amount of quality research content available on the Web. We
realize that many people are looking for ways to share their research
data and perhaps don't have the technical support or infrastructure to
do so. Open Context was built to help out with this! I'd be happy to
discuss this further with anyone interested in publishing their data.

Thanks,
Sarah

--
Sarah Whitcher Kansa