Dear Gao,

the differences is mainly due to the new Partial Volume Estimation (PVE). With this PVE model two additional mixed classes are estimated (GM-WM and GM-CSF). The final results is estimated for the 3 main tissue classes (GM/WM/CSF) and is now expressed as fraction (or amount) of each pure tissue that is present in this voxel. The effect is mostly visible in the basal ganglia, which are a mix of GM/WM. The final GM segmentation is around 50% because these voxels also contain 50% WM. Although this value is lower compared to non PVE approaches this is a more accurate segmentation.

For your data there are probably more voxels containing mixed classes. Additionally, older segmentations with SPM5/VBM5 showed a tendency to binarize the segmentations. Furthermore, the old approaches were based on a bayesian approach with tissue priors of control subjects that often not reflect the analyzed sample. The new segmentation algorithm in VBM8 does not use any priors, thus for subjects that deviate from healthy control subjects large differences in the segmentations might occur. However, your values for GM/WM volume are quite different and I would rather check the raw volumes that are saved in a text file.

Regards,

Christian

Christian Gaser, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Computational Neuroscience
Department of Psychiatry
Friedrich-Schiller-University of Jena
Jahnstrasse 3, D-07743 Jena, Germany
Tel: ++49-3641-934752	Fax:   ++49-3641-934755
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://dbm.neuro.uni-jena.de