Hi Thilo,

	Thank you for this mail because I met the same problem just now. But I feel confused. You said ' if you have an even number, the even slices are measured first and then the odd slices '. According to this, I think if the slice order specification from top to bottom and nslice = 28, the sequence should be [nslice:-2:2 nslice-1:-2:1]. Is it a small mistake?

-----Original Message-----
From: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Thilo Kellermann
Sent: 2010年5月19日 18:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SPM] Slice Time Correction

Hi Ed,

to make things a little more complicated: Usually you are right, that odd
slices are measured first followed by the even ones. On a Siemens Trio
machine, however, this is not always true (unless you use a self-programmed
sequence). On a Trio the order depends on the number of slices - if you have
an even number, the even slices are measured first and then the odd slices.
Only if you have an odd number of slices the "normal" sequence (odd first,
then even) is used.

In this case the slice order specification from top to bottom should be:
nslices = 28;
[nlsices-1:-2:1 nslices:-2:1]

The slices are numbered from bottom to top and the sequence gives the
acquisition order. So if you are measuring from top to bottom and your number
of slices is 28 on a Siemens Trio, the first slice you measure is no. 27,
according to this numbering.

In this case slices 1 and 28 are measured in the middle within a TR and the
choice of either one should be ok. If you are more interested in dorsal parts
of the brain 28 might be more appropriate. Unfortunately when acquiring
slices interleaved you never know, when the most interesting slice is being
measured. If the region you are interested in is spreaded over more than one
slice, this region will be measured at quite different times within a TR
anyway (namely with a delay of about TR/2).

Good luck,
Thilo

--
Thilo Kellermann