Hi Stephen,
The manner in which an image is displayed on the screen has nothing to
do with whether L/R is properly coded within the orientation fields of
the image file.  SPM, by default, chooses to display images in a
"neurological" display, such that (assuming the orientation info in the
file is correct) the left hemisphere displays on the left side of the
screen.  Other tools, such as FSLview and Analyze choose to display
images in a "radiological" display such that the left hemisphere is
displayed on the right side of the screen.

cheers,
-Mike H.