>      1. Even if we can force the volumes match each other, to what
>         extent should it be done?

This is a good question.  There is a trade-off between optimising the
similarity and keeping the warps as smooth as possible.  The amount of
trade-off is determined by some hyper-parameters that control the
regularisation.  With simpler models with fewer parameters, it is often
possible to achieve the best balance by doing Bayesian model selection
(ie maximising the model evidence for various hyper-parameter settings).
Unfortunately, this is currently a bit more difficult for models with
millions of parameters.

>      1. What are the implications for the final results since this
>         will be moving so much tissue around?

Some regions will expand, whereas others contract.  With simple
smoothing of warped data, the signal from adjacent expanded and
contracted regions may be combined in such a way that those voxels in
expanded regions have proportionally more representation in the
resulting smoothed data.  I've tried to compensate for this in the
normalise to MNI space option of Dartel (see manual for more info).  The
aim was to give pre-processed data that is more similar to what would be
obtained from region of interest analyses on the original scans - rather
than on the warped scans.

>      1. How will this impact inferences regarding for example,
>         functional activation in the thalamus or caudate?

If homologous regions are more closely aligned, the interpretations
should be more accurate.  Greater overlap of activations in different
subjects should lead to greater sensitivity.  Not having activations in
the wrong place should lead to greater specificity.

In Arno Klein's comparisons with human expert labellings, Dartel did
reasonably well.  Results for some subjects were not as good as for
others though, but I suspect that this was due to segmentation failures
(Arno did all the registrations and the rest of us were really just
advisers and didn't see the actual registration results themselves).

Best regards,
-John