Hi Markus,

I'm not familiar with a simple and principled way to downsample the
cortical mesh, at least not something in SPM. Those meshes were
prepared originally with freesurfer and there might be a way to
downsample them there or just prepare lower resolution meshes from
scratch.

Rik Henson and Daniel Wakeman should be able to advise you.

Best,

Vladimir