David

Thanks for this delightful discussion. My point with my
initial post here was indeed sanguine about the need to be heard by people out
there. I’m addressing exactly the reasons why so many feel they can afford to
ignore contributions of configurational theories – analytical approaches that
have been showing  space as an active feature in social life and
experience. Even most importantly, I’m wondering about how we can make concepts
able to bring to the forefront this lively presence of space, emanating from
its very structure, known  and able to make a difference.

It seems to me that we may do so in many ways.
One of them is increasing the potential of contribution of a theory; a
second one is reassuring its longevity.

This second problem – the continuity of a theory –
relates to a number of things. A theory shows clear signs of vitality if its
achievements are absorbed by those working in the field (and I mean here the
field of urban studies, or however we call it), and if there are evident
efforts to expand it and connect it to other substantive problems and
theories. I speak in general terms here. If a theory remains adamant,
untouched, that may be a sign it is simply not evolving.  If it does not
expand itself to include other problems, allow connections to other theories or
allow new insights inside itself, well, those may be signs that it's found
restrictions in its own framework, or its practitioners found restrictions in
it. (Your work interestingly expands space syntax to the phenomenological
position of the body in space, and that illustrates my point. We need more
expansions like this).

In order to expansions of a spatial theory come
into being, especially considering an internally cohesive theory like space
syntax, there are some possibilities: one is to deal with the concept of
syntactic space in order to render it ready for connections to other
substantive problems and theoretical approaches. Another way is addressing and
proposing changes to core concepts (such as that of space) that would more
easily allow the expansion of its object domain. That demands some level of
“deconstruction” of the theory itself – and a form of active positioning of a
researcher regarding the theory or theories, in order to reach problems and explanations
beyond its current domain (but then we would need to acknowledge that theories
do have object domains which go hand in hand with their epistemological
limits).

Those are also forms of increasing the potential to
contribution – and, furthermore, increasing communication between different
approaches! (One of the most extraordinary problems we face is the fact that
urban researchers from different backgrounds simply do not understand one
another. I mean a deep misunderstanding, an inability to read the epistemological
premises behind another position. This is both fascinating and worrying.)

So it seems to me that contribution is about not
being conservative about your own theory. Once you become conservative about
your theory, you contribute less than you could.

The connection with phenomenology that you propose
(I’m not familiar with your work, David, my apologies, I promise to study it) is
surprising to me! And it makes sense, in the terms you frame this relation. That
is the kind of thing I’m suggesting here. Let me quickly discuss it to
illustrate the need for further work. One may indeed connect the syntactic
concept of space to phenomenology in order to show that such a conception of
space, stripped bare of all other layers of human/social constructions, reaches
some kind of ultimate level of the experience of space – an experience of space
non-mediated by concepts – and thus an ‘ultimate space.’ That’ is a nice
insight indeed (and I'm not attempting to reduce any idea or claim it that these words are yours). However, we could not equalize this "ultimate space" with the
truth about space, or with a “true space” and even less so as the "only space", the space that matters (and of course you’re not doing that). For humans relate to space more than
through the ultimate senses of physicality and corporeality and all that they
imply. What I meant when I mentioned Heidegger and Merleau-Ponty relates to the
fact that, beyond ideas of “being with” or “being-alongside” places and spaces,
the former allows the possibility of relating to the hermeneutic dimension of
experience. Space plays a role there too. We are immersed in thoughts, in
interpretation, in meanings, and in communication. And all those ontological
properties and possibilities are right there, pulsing in space itself. How nice
it would be to uncover them. And do so not forgetting the strength of the
physical materiality of space. So we still have a lot to do… Doing that
may be a way of making our active concepts of space actually known in other
approaches.

Vini

Vinicius M. Netto
Núcleo de Estudos e Projetos Habitacionais e Urbanos (NEPHU)
Universidade Federal Fluminense (UFF)
Rua Almirante Teffé 637
24030-080 Niterói - Rio de Janeiro
Fone: +55 (21) 9727-1512