Just to put in a plug for Bart's actual scholarly publications (e.g. the 1996 _Orthodox Corruption of Scripture_) which are a bit more useful for, well, scholarship. But you have to pay academic book prices for them, alas. And on related topics, there's Adam Gopnik's essay in this week's New Yorker ("What Did Jesus Do?"), with the superb sentence beginning "Ehrman is one of those best-selling authors like Richard Dawkins and Robert Ludlum and Peter Mayle...."

Beth

"

At 03:29 PM 5/21/2010, you wrote:
Yes, indeed. For a popular but scholary grounded take on the text, Bart Ehrman's books are excellent. More sophisticated is Robin Lane Fox's Unauthorized Version: Truth and Fiction in the Bible.

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 2:27 PM, JD Fleming <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
A hermeneutic perspective: let's note that the concept of the original text, expressing terminal intensions, is much more mercurial than it at first appears. In the last analysis, it is a transcendent (or metaphysical) concept -- which is precisely why it was so hermeneutically and culturally powerful when it began systematically to be deployed in Reformation biblical exegesis and philology. Against the idea of the Word as the Church understood it, the Reformers brought the idea of _the Word as it was first spoken_. An intoxicating banner. Yet anybody who has ever spoken a word (that is, anybody) can attest that doing so _puts something in play_, rather than terminating playing.

In other words, to think of the original text as the place where interpretation stops is, arguably, to think something both erroneous and interminable. For it will always be possible to draw closer to, or suppose that it is possible to draw closer to, the posited transcendence. Very good on this dialectic in late-period Protestantism are the essays by Mandelbrote, Keene, and Snobelen in Hessayon and Keene (eds), _Scripture and Scholarship in Early-Modern England_ (Ashgate, 2006). And in the wider world, just think of the extraordinary interpretative authoritarianism of "originalist" constitutional jurisprudence, which is empowered by the idea of the original intension _precisely because the latter is not really available_.

What's the alternative? A long and difficult inquiry begins from that question. But I think it's an inquiry worth opening ourselves to; and I think it will have something to do with the recognition that the judgment of rightness or fittingness -- of having understood -- that somebody like the KJV parishioner has had is not necessarily or neatly outflanked by the method of originalist historicism.

JD Fleming

----- Original Message -----
From: "Helen Vincent" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 1:12:43 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: CFP The King James Bible

I have come across people who seem in all honesty incapable of understanding what 'the KJB is a *translation*, we need to look at the original text' means. They simply refer to the book they have in their hands and say 'but it says here...'. Sometimes showing them an actual Greek or Hebrew testament helps change their minds, because they have often never seen one and have no real conception of the Bible as anything other than the fixed text they have heard and read all their lives.

Helen

Helen Vincent
Senior Curator
Rare Book Collections