Here are the quotations for this week (May 2nd to 8th):

1. ..."Only Fear shall follow thee, and with a blow that thou canst not see he shall bid thee wait his pleasure. He shall make the ground to open under thy feet, and the creeper to twist about thy neck, and the tree-trunks to grow together about thee higher than thou canst leap, and at the last he shall take thy hide to wrap his cubs when they are cold. Thou hast shown him no mercy, and none will he show thee"...

2. ...Do you know what Fear is ? Not ordinary fear of insult, injury or death, but abject quivering dread of something that you cannot see - fear that dries the inside of the mouth and half of the throat - fear that makes you sweat in the palms of the hands and gulp in order to keep the uvula at work. This is a fine Fear - a great cowardice, and must be felt to be appreciated...

3. "...I pulled my Waler, and fell back a little. The ‘rickshaw was directly in the middle of the road: and once more the Arab passed through it, my horse following. "Jack, Jack dear, please forgive me," rang like a wail in my ears, and, after an interval: "It’s all a mistake, a hideous mistake..."

The sources of last week's extracts (April 25th to May 1st) are as follows:

1.  (..."Let me assure you that the treaty with Great Britain will be made even though every city in the Union burn me in effigy....")  This is from "Brother Square-toes" in Rewards and Fairies.

2.  (...'It is a matter on which it would be exceedingly ill-advised to form a hasty or a premature conclusion....')  This is from "Under the Mill Dam" in Traffics and Discoveries.

3.  (...'But he hadn't really done anything when you knew him, had he ? ...')  This is from "Simple Simon" in Rewards and Fairies.

Good electoral wishes to all, John R