Hello Robyn and Alan, and all
When Alan, you describe Robyn’s idea of alongside ontology as being akin to space/time curvatures, and that the separation of form that such theories suggest “don’t work” I am coming to understand that perhaps, what you mean by them not working is that when we consider the dynamic space between these elements, bounded by our perception, we have to own the presumption that the space is not so much empty, but infused with the dynamic of separation and the power to separate that which would otherwise be in flow.

When working with social situations which have become as unhealthy as Robyn, you describe, the powers to separate are so embedded in our perception and social organisation that they manifest in layers on layers of wounding. Some of us may have escaped because we were lucky enough to experience the power of flow/love that Alan makes evident, perhaps in nature, perhaps in family, perhaps in work, within ourselves...and so we enter into these wounded places carrying our own scars as well as we cannot live outside our social ecologies as well as the courage that the flow of being can let us believe... And we do our best to work out how “to be” in such places without adding to the wounding, and in some instances as you have done, by “positively” creating a way of being that heals.

We may exercise care, practice with principles, regulated responses like mandatory reporting, theories that inform understanding, beliefs even – but all these ways of working well with really difficult situations are still incising, even if the cut is caring and informed. Healing probably cannot happen if we continue with the separating – though there may be a need for healing within our own boundaries that may need time to strengthen before we can open to others...

So the real challenge that I think your words raise for me, Robyn, is how we allow the flow of the wounded into us, without such a flow adding to the wounding that is already within.

The nature of the flow of the wounding into us, and that which our own wounding flows into others, is busy in that it needs to heal the separation, as well as its own nature which is wounded...

For myself, my mind, body and narrative are all triggered in this dynamic, and different things happen: sometimes I speak truths without my rational mind giving consent to my social self that I do, sometimes I am speechless and empty - lacking compassion, sometimes I am in tears, sometimes I am inspired and able to understand and ask a reaching question – but this is rare.

The most peaceful thing I have found is that ability to suspend or dispense with judgement – to feel the person within myself and the other as living entities. I think this may be in your account of your work too? This is sometimes hard to do when competition, jealousy, disdain and exploitation is taking place...And sometimes we are judged so inaccurately through others’ frameworks that it is hard to understand what it is we do to create such an impression. Holding the living other within ourselves at such times is wounding work.