  From: Robyn Pound
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:39 AM
  Subject: Re: To be inclusional

        Ernie, Alan, Susan, Marie...
        I was struck by the similarity in this conversation with a major contradiction presenting itself in my research into my practice as health visitor in the UK (community public health nursing working with families).  I nearly didn't reply because I usually feel the topic under discussion is about inclusionality leaving my interest in practice looking a bit pedestrian.  I have no problem with inclusionality except that when the discussions are grounded in it I have to summon my courage to offer my ideas.  Marie's words prompted me:
          'I hope that others might also be willing to make their accounts public and in doing so make a life-enhancing difference to the learning of self, others and the social formations in which we live and work, and ultimately improve the educational experience of more children and young people.'

        Through my living theory process to discover how I could improve my practice working with parents of young children in their communities I came up with what I call an alongside epistemology.  Alongsideness for me is a way of being in practice but it turned out also to be a way of being in research and knowledge creation.  Alongsideness fits many of the criteria of inclusionality I believe, but may not fit for anyone else because it is grounded in my life.    I love inclusionality because it feels familiar and true.  I don't understand everything about it and don't even feel the need to follow every line of its thinking.  As a living theorist it was a wonderful liberating moment when towards the end of my research process I could finally answer the troubling question raised repeatedly by one of my research supervisors, 'where is your research grounded'? It wasn't grounded in any one discipline or theory.   Of course! Bingo I got it. It is grounded in me and my practice!   For me as living theory researcher, other people's theories are valuable to me in as much as they influence the development of my thoughtful practice.   Good, got that out of the way.

        The real reason I replied was to tell you of the dilemma presenting itself in different ways throughout my research that relates to the topic of disagreement.  Alongsideness as I see it, is full of the values I unearthed for myself as I went along my journey.  They are positive and warm and when (if!) I live them they really work to improve the lives they touch.  But what happens when I can't be unconditionally warm and affirming such as in child protection arenas that feel a bit like war sometimes?  There is no instant glib answer to this except that I need to remind myself that it is my responsibility to act in response to the situation before me for the sake of the child, even when it is counter to the opinions of the parent with whom I communicate.  The values of alongsideness are not negated because we do not agree and because I my use my professional power for one person's benefit over the wishes of another.  My core values of respect, connection, self determination, encouragement etc. are even more important if communication and action are to be for the benefit of those who are too powerless to act for themselves - children.  If I am to continue working with this family and continue supporting their process of improving their lives (for the sake of children at this point) then I have to keep our relationship going in ways that both contain habitual destructive ways of acting and encourages hope for the future.

        I am interested to know how others make sense of these situations which appear so contradictory to usual ways of being but are essential to addressing misuse of power or worse abuse through neglect, which can have such disastrous effects on children.

        It seems there is  similarity here with the different scenarios you have been talking about.

        Robyn