Hello Alan and everyone
I am reflecting on your quote ... And thank you for getting back about it. I
am circling around the matters of ethics, standpoint, activist engagement in
order to stretch ontology (the ³what is to be known² questions) - My
experience is that I am frequently presented with group behaviour which
implies unstated assumptions of power and control which impact very badly
indeed on people. Status rather than integrity seems to speak into
participatory opportunities. My practice is to ask questions to find out
what is going on so that these hidden and often externally driven powers are
made explicit and answerable to those who are giving their life experience
and resources to an initiative. In opening such new spaces I am familiar
with being seen as confronting, but to not make such things explicit is to
collude with a politic that seeds ongoing oppression within initiatives.
Does this make me ³against²? Not in my heart ­ but when such powers are so
accepted by others, when others have actively colluded,  anyone who speaks
of them becomes ³the other² for many reasons, and is framed as ³against².

The practice of being seen as the oppositional other, framed and isolated
for it is I suspect not uncommon in our network.

So I see what you are presenting here as very demanding stuff indeed.

Still circling
Susan