Re: Education and Learning Virtual Networking Stream for ALARA's 8th  World Congress Hello Marie and everyone
I also rejoiced in Inoue’s PowerPoint and saw the powerful connections across our different approaches – and – see in Brian’s observation that AR has the capacity to embrace very different world views and with them personal/political/professional motivations. I believe the sense of commonality that you describe here comes from the systemic attributes of our field which work across and into a great variety (perhaps any) field, discipline or context – but that these systemic or generic characteristics can be translated into the specifics of narrative, person and context so that they can also create a great variety of approaches and outcomes.

My experience of this has been abandoning models of AR such as the linear plan, do, observe, reflect cycles and adopting a principle-basis of inquiry practice. What I found was that the principles enable any epistemology to be taken into an inquiry strategy while also maintaining characteristics of the practice. This is very liberating when working across say organisational cultures and into consumer networks within the same inquiry strategy.

I found Heron and Reasons’ Collaborative Inquiry principles to be perhaps the most powerful of these. Such an approach enables participants to invent how they go about their inquiry to suit their cultural and value basis (self determination), while also being challenged by and learning their way into the characteristics of AR.

If I may say – a balance between unity and diversity is essential for a healthy strategy and field – maintaining the capacity to grow and challenge our own convictions while also adding to the depth of understanding about them as say the Inoue slides do...

In friendship
Susan