Re: Education and Learning Virtual Networking Stream for ALARA's 8th  World Congress

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Cheri Yavu-Kama-Harathunian
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">'Alan Rayner (BU)'
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 5:42 AM
Subject: RE: Education and Learning Virtual Networking Stream for ALARA's 8th World Congress

Dear  All and Alan,

My enigmatic email mentor Alan has kindly sent me the discussion that is occurring now.  I am following his advice and have also submitted an Abstract for a paper that I am writing and which I hope to present at the World Congress in September.  What spurred me on was a simply beautiful statement, a response to a question that I had put to him.  He advised, “ …..Please write, as you do, in ‘first person’. We need to get beyond objectifying things and people.”   I had sent a draft of the paper to him, and when this response came to me it spun around in my mind, and all the teaching and training that I have received about writing within the academic world has been sizzled so magically.

The wisdom of what my mentor suggested is profound to me because in the reality in which I live I am always asking myself, “ When I research am I not looking for those works that will reaffirm my conceptualisations of what I write?  When I research, do I not also look for works that counter-argue my conceptualisations of what I write? BUT do I not subjectively decide which works I choose  to counter- argue so that at the end of the day, what will be understood by those who read my work will be an ‘objective’  ‘valid discussion of my conceptualisations?”  Yet all that I did, the research, the interpretation, the writing, at some level of course is first person work.  From my worldview I think what I have been questioning is succulently put in his words to Susan,   “Questioning and fluidizing those hard lines of definition between what's in and what's out is right at the heart of my 'natural inclusional' enquiry”.  As I have grown into the woman I am today I am struck by the fact that even as a child this ‘natural inclusional’ enquiry was beginning to form its basis in my child’s imagination.  I think that because most all of my family and friends and to some degree even myself, now see a woman who is very ‘childlike’ in many ways, I have to confess that the memories of my childhood are so influential even to this day.

Some of you whom I have met through the conversations we have had in writing,  fill me with feelings of awe at what you write.  The questions and the discussions that I am privileged to read and to contemplate leave me with questions and exclamations of “‘Wow! How did these beautiful phrases float into their minds?”  I truly appreciate that like me others struggle with the manner in which thought, interpretation, understanding, knowledge, awareness, conceptualising of what is written, and the context in which it is written is appraised.  That is magical to me.

When I was a little girl growing up in rainforest country in the north of Queensland, there were puzzles around me that I needed answers for.  I used to ask my Daddy wonderfully childish questions like, “Daddy how come the water hangs off a leaf and looks like a diamond?”  I’d only seen diamonds in books, not a real one, but a droplet of water was a better example for me then diamonds I saw in a magazine.  And for days after he had given me an answer I would go into the Rainforest and silently look at water on the leaves, and allow my imagination to conjure up image after image of the response he gave to me.  “Daddy how come the clouds chase after each other all day?”  I’d watch clouds as I floated in the creek that was the boarder of our property and I  used to find it so amusing that the clouds I tagged never got caught by the clouds that seemed to chase after them.  My father’s response would often take me down to the beach and there I would run to my hearts content trying to catch these lagging clouds, and imagine all sorts of images that were being created above me as I lay on the sand or in the ocean silently watching, silently trying to understand what it was he had said to me.   “Daddy what makes the sun come up and the moon go down?”  At twilight it was magical to slip away with some of my brothers and sisters and stay in the rainforest at night for just a while. As some of you will know it is a beautiful place and it is spectacular when the moon beams coat the forest in silhouettes and shadows and the  morning sun filters sunrays through it to the forest floor.   “Daddy why is my totem spirit the blue mountain butterfly?”  I always knew the answer to this one, but I just wanted to hear the story of my conception because it gave to me a place to belong and living entities to be connected too.  I sill love the answers to my questions that he gave me, and back then I would take my answers and share them with all my friends both the visible and the invisible.  I would start my conversations with my friends by saying in the voice of a four year old philosopher, “Did you know that water hangs off a leaf because it loves leaves and it looks like a diamond because it wants to make the leaf look beautiful.”  My visible friends, would look at me with four and five year old awe and acknowledge my wisdom with a ,”Wow!! “How come you know that?” “Who told you that?”  And with the wisdom of a four year old I would say, “My Daddy.” And we would all gather around a leaf with water on  it and  we would silently and  wisely nod our heads because we all now knew the reason or so we thought.

So now, at this moment in time in my Dreaming, I am having my unspoken questions responded to by people from different backgrounds, different cultures, different life experiences and it seems that for me the responses are coming from an Aladdin’s Cave of Knowledges.  This is what has been gifted to me.

In my culture ‘silence’ or being silent is an integral part of our language.  When I was younger I thought it only related to our meditative practices, or our healing practices.  But I have come to understand that ‘silence’ has a space and a place in our language that is rather difficult to explain, probably because when a person is in the habit of practicing it as part of every day life it seems to become so familiar.  But it is complex.  Perhaps I can offer the following that I have extracted from a paper that I wrote in 2008 and which was published in a journal in New Zealand.  Because when I think of ‘silence’ I come back to the training that my parents gifted to me about Aboriginal spirituality.

Aboriginal spirituality culturally respects the secret and sacred nature of Aboriginal men’s business and Aboriginal women’s business. Aboriginal people throughout Australia have their own explanations, definitions, views, opinions and interpretations of this phenomenon.  Aboriginal spirituality is not based within a religious conceptualisation. …..As Yavu-Kama-Harathunian (1998) suggests there are seven generalist layers that define it within Aboriginal cultural perspectives and which maintain cultural integrity and fluidity.  The seven layers are: reflection (deep insightful meditation); recherché (transcendence-the ability to bring the Spiritual world into the language of the human realm); refulgence (illumination of humanness into the Spiritual world); ‘Corpo santo’ (acceptance that the human body is holy); reverent obeisance (inner prostration that hallows Creator Spirit); synergistic cosmology (spirit of the earth and the spirit of the universe flows from and into the Source of ‘All’ Spirit) and, omniscience (spiritually enables the human to integrate into the ‘All’ ‘knowingness’ of Creator Spirit’s ‘Oneness’).” (Yavu-Kama-Harathunian:1998) .

Silence to me is part of and is a vital part of who and what I am.  I do not know if it is or can be separate from  my essential self.  Is it possible?  I have yet to contemplate this more fully.  Thank you for awakening me to the fact that although we may view this in thousands of different ways, the way I view it is just adding to the knowledge pool that we share about it.  Go well, stay well, be well.

Cheri Yavu-Kama-Harathunian (B.App.Sci. Indigenous & Community Health; Masters Criminal Justice)
Coordinator
Nulloo Yumbah Learning Spirituality and Research Centre
CQUniversity
Bundaberg 4670
Phone: 07 - 41507091
Email:
[log in to unmask] <https://staffmail.cqu.edu.au/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

“Junjarin-nga dhar’guna yau’eembai’ya ngoolam’bula dhar’kun yar war gow” These are Kabi Kabi words.  They are from a 40,000 year old blessing and they mean: “May the spiritual forces of Mother Earth guide and protect your inner self and truth”.  I offer this blessing to you.