I believe Stephen's away

Gentle?

Doing nothing isn't gentleness. We could get a corpse or a mannikin to do
that.

And I'll say again that using one's own feelings only as a test,
particularly if one is fairly tough in these matters, is unreliable. It
doesn't say what the community needs, only what the individual needs

I think of Bob's querying of "intimidation". I haven't gone back on that
and might not have done. I suppose he means that he doesn't find Swords
intimidating. And therefore? doubts he is.

I can't say that I experienced it that way, either, not directly, but that
was its intention. It made me think of kids getting on trains or walking
down the road with blaring music who, when challenged, swear and curse and
talk about the democratic rights and tell you to go somewhere else if you
don't like it.

Again, not everyone will see it as intimidating or at least more than a
little offputting. Not everyone is willing to put up with this crap

They may not be here reading any more to confirm that

It's a bit sad that all this seems to hard to grasp.

One says: we need to think of other people's point of view; and the other
replies: well i don't have any problem

Belief in free speech? Belief in its existence? Belief in its efficacy?
(As a phrase it is almost without meaning.) Depends what you mean by
belief. Depends what you mean by "free speech".

I'll say it again: Total freedom of speech is a ridiculous idea. In case
that is not clear - I was trying to be as brief as possible - that it is
not possible to have total freedom of speech.

At best, it relies upon rational debate for a start.

QED

Freedom of speech which impinges upon another's freedom of speech is not
freedom of speech

Instigating personal abuse is not freedom of speech (implying intellectual
inquiry and saying the unsayable) but bullying (implying power is
self-evidently good)

in much the same way that kicking someone in the head is NOT expressing
yourself through competitive sport, well, not if they haven't freely
consented

--
"The desire to testify": interview with Chris Goode
http://intercapillaryspace.blogspot.com/2010/02/desire-to-testify.html

‘a song and a film’ by Lawrence Upton -- Veer Publications / Writers Forum
ISBN: 978-1-907088-05-6 A5 84 pages. 2009. £6.00

"water lines and other poems" by Lawrence Upton  - Pdf_16x16 111 pages
free download http://chalkeditions.co.cc

‘snap shots and video’ by Lawrence Upton -- Writers Forum
ISBN: 978-1-84254-113-5 A5 52 pages. £6.00

Lawrence Upton
AHRC Creative Research Fellow
Dept of Music
Goldsmiths, University of London