So for a moment I was like "say what?", and then I figured out that you
clicked "listserve" then "Etiquette Guidelines for Posting Messages" to
arrive at:
http://www.washington.edu/computing/mailman/subscribers/guidelines.html

I assume that is boilerplate for any listserv hosted by UW, even those
addressing the stately topic of prosody.  Then again, emoticons don't bother
me.  I used to consider them poor form, but I've changed my mind, and
besides, they're here to stay so my anti-prescriptivist high horse would
have been bucking madly by now.

;-) :-)

--Uche

--