Whatever our views are i suspect that this is actually an HR issue - they are the ones that determine whether someone gets paid on not - all we can do is comment on the clinical issues. Many good points well made about sporting injuries and lifestyle issues and I dare say that this will come up and some time in the future, at least in the public sector. I really like the notion of "tall poppy syndrome" and will include that in a meeting I am going to later (thanks!) as it sums up my lengthy opinion in a few short words!

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sue Mann (JIC)
Sent: 20 May 2010 08:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] "cosmetic" surgery

I agree with you Diane. Having been a plastic surgery nurse (NHS) in the past, most of patients having surgery have terrible psychological issues which have a massive impact on their daily lives.  So In my mind having plastic surgery for whatever the reason is no different to having a new knee or hip or hernia repair!  Also ‘cosmetic’ surgery is not carried out on the NHS, not in this Trust anyway!!

Sue