Dear Tom,

Thank you very much for this information about your talk with Shuddhabrata
Sengupta which sounds incredibly interesting! It would be good to hear more
about it - maybe after the event itself?

 And thank you very much for the further information on the School of
Political Arts.  I notice with interest that:

>The school¹s aim is to provide artists with a high-level training in the social
>sciences (methods for empirical inquiry), and, conversely, to confront social
>scientists and public or private sector professionals with the qualities and
>methodologies of the arts.

 In the section from the description of Latour's School of Political Arts
quoted above, I am torn between thinking of all the amazing ways to
articulate (some) of the 'qualities and methodologies of the arts'
sufficiently well for them to register on the radar of social scientists or
private sector professionals, and the realisation that the process of making
them [more] explicit and accessible in this way would be one of the
mechanisms by which they would be incorporated into the aggregating and
instrumentalising logic of (contemporary) capitalism.  Yet, I am fully aware
(from my work on the theories of Bracha Ettinger) that there are some
aspects of art making that are utterly resistant to this kind of
articulation as a method and therefore to incorporation (although not
resistant to other kinds of articulation).

 As someone who is very much embroiled in attempts to articulate 'qualities
and methodologies' of art (especially distributed art), I am aware that I am
as much a part of the pedagogical turn as I am a critic of it.  This
contradictory position is intriguing to me, and the place that I find to be
the most interesting right now.  From my understanding of the concept (and
material reality) of what we are discussing this month I suspect that there
is no escape, as such, from the pedagogical turn - so embedded is it in the
democratising and automating processes of contemporary knowledge production
that perhaps it is worth considering artistic (and other) strategies focused
on ways of encountering its logic without reproducing it?

Kind regards,
Kate